Heya, happy friday!
Hope last weekends’ cookies were scrummy 🙂 Today I am sharing one of my favourite cake recipes, my healthy Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake.
My Healthly Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake
Cooking time: 55 minutes ( slightly longer than the other bakes!)
Cooking temp: 180°c/Gas Mark 4/ 355F
- 225g/ 8oz self-raising flour
- 100g/ 3½ oz butter, cubed
- 100g/ 3½ oz caster sugar
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 large egg
- 75 ml/ 2½ fl.oz whole milk
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°c fan) / 355F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 18cm (7in) round cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter intil it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and poppy seeds.
- Lightly beat the egg with the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir it into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scrape the minture into the tin and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave it to cool completely.
Top Tip – Make an easy icing by stirring a few drops of lemon juice into sieved icing sugar.