I hope last weeks’ Blueberry Muffins tasted fruity! Today’s recipe is for my Valentine’s Strawberry Eclairs, great for Valentine’s Day 🙂 Sorry I haven’t posted in a while either – school has been really busy!
My Valentine’s Strawberry Eclairs
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cooking temp: 200°c/ Gas Mark 6 / 400F
- 55g / 2oz butter, cubed
- 70g/ 2½ oz strong white bread flour, sieved
- 2 large eggs, beaten
For the filling:
- 600ml/ 1 pint double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar plus extra for dusting
- 200g / 7oz strawberries, hulled
- Preheat the over to 200°c (180°c fan) / 400F / Gas Mark 6.
- Oil and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper, then spray it with a little water.
- Put the butter in a saucepan with 150ml / 5 fl. oz cold water and heat until the butter melts and the water starts to boil. Turn off the heat and beat in the flour
- Continue to beat the mixture until it forms a smooth ball of pastry. Stir in the beaten egg a little at a time until you have a glossy paste.
- Spoon the pastry into a piping bag with a large plain nozzle and pipe 12cm (5in) lines onto the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then increasee the heat to 220°c (200°c fan) / 425F / Gas Mark 7 and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and slice down one side of each one so the steam can escape. Leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until thick. Spoon the cream into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and fill the eclairs. Stud each of the eclairs with strawberries.
- Dust the tops with icing sugar before serving.
Top Tip – Try replacing the strawberries with raspberries and add a splash of rose water to the cream.
Comment if you liked the recipe and also other other types of bakes you want to see on Fridays and Weekends 🙂